Known as the UAE’s cultural capital; Sharjah is an industrial and education hub making it the preferred location for investors and entrepreneurs globally.
- UAE cultural capital
- Print on demand (POD) service
- Publishing ecosystem
- UNESCO World Book capital
A complete platform for promoting and enhancing investments in the publishing and creative industry
Sharjah International Book Fair
The third largest book fair in the world
Media Regulatory Office
Supervises the implementation of media policies, and regulates media activities across the UAE
Sharjah International Literary Agency
Protects the rights of publishers and writers, and promotes Arabic literary and cultural content globally.
Sharjah’s Children’s Reading Festival
The largest of its kind in the Arab world
The Translation Grant Fund
Provides funding to boost book translation and copywriting
Lightning Source is a printer and distributor of print-on-demand books. The company is a business unit of Ingram Content Group.
Emirates Publisher Association
Emirates Publisher Association (EPA) is a non-profit organisation that works to develop the UAE’s publishing industry. Being a member of EPA will provide benefits such as:
- Provide publishers with significant exposure of book titles in the local and international market
- Help publishers connect with some of the largest names in the industry
EPA membership requirements mandate that the company should be owned by an Emirati national holding not less than 51% of its shares. However, a publisher licensed with SPCFZ can register as a member, regardless of the business owner’s nationality.
Lightning Source Sharjah
Lightning Source Sharjah and Sharjah Book Authority have established a joint venture to operate a Lightning Source Print On Demand (POD) facility at SPC Free Zone. This provides a superior printing and distribution service for publishers and retail channels in the Gulf region and the Middle East, and allows them to cater to consumer demands and reach readers worldwide.
Lightning Source can:
- Support publishers by making their titles accessible to millions of readers locally and globally, supplying books to more than 40,000 libraries worldwide
- Help publishers balance and effectively manage consumer demand, affordable distributions, and print runs
- Reduce challenges associated with estimating demand for titles and efficiently scaling print volumes